Summary The Testing Lab Manager is responsible for carrying out research experiments and supporting duties to advance research projects as directed by the Research and Development Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Responsible for the day-to-day supervision or oversight of the laboratory and personnel performing testing and reporting test results
- Responsible for writing and maintaining Laboratory procedures.
- Responsible, in cooperation with the VP of Business Development, for selecting appropriate new/replacement Laboratory equipment. Assures that all Laboratory equipment maintenance schedules are followed
- Responsible, in cooperation with the VP of Business Development, for selection of qualified Laboratory personnel. Assures annual competency assessment on Laboratory personnel. Responsible for annual evaluation of Laboratory personnel
- Responsible for development and implementation of the Laboratory operational budget and fee schedule
- Maintains the Laboratory Quality Control/Quality Assurance program
- Assures that the Laboratory participates in all required proficiency testing programs. Assures that proficiency testing samples are tested and reported like patient testing
- Maintains appropriate levels of supplies, consumables, and reagents
- Follow the testing personnel responsibility standards:
- Each individual performs only those high complexity tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual’s education, training or experience, and technical abilities
- Each individual performing high complexity testing must:
- Follow the Laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens
- Follow all of the Laboratory’s Quality Assurance procedures
- Perform and document all required quality control activities
- Perform and record all required instrument maintenance and calibration activities
- Follow the Laboratory’s established procedures whenever test systems are not within the Laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance
- Capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results
- Correct the problem(s), or
- Report the problem(s) to the VP of Business Development
- All corrective actions taken to correct problem(s)
- Prepare samples for send out to various third party Laboratories
- Log test results from send out Laboratories in the appropriate files
- Disseminate test results to the appropriate individuals and departments
- Adhere to organization policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned by the VP of Business Development
- Develops departmental budget submissions to align with the organization strategy map.
- Mentors, coaches, and counsels staff to develop excellent contribution to the organization mission and assist in understanding the individual’s role in the strategic plan. Fully documents staff issues. Resolves staff issues at the lowest level possible. Keeps supervisor aware of staff issues. Develops and timely submits annual staff performance evaluations aligned to the organization strategy map.
- Maintains full compliance with the laws, regulations, and organization policies pertinent to the department. Ensures department activities meet all applicable accrediting body. Actively avoids fraud, waste, and abuse. Seeks methods and activities to enhance organization revenues.
- Directs departmental Performance Improvement initiatives. Tracks and reports accomplishments.
- Responds to customer requests for information in a complete and timely manner.
- Ensures department procedures align with and support organizational policies.
- Protects the proprietary testing results data for both internal and external testing on a need to know basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to handle multiple projects and effective time management. Must be comfortable with changing priorities and aggressive schedules. Must be self motivated and able to accomplish projects independently. Should have a desire to act as a mentor for others and share knowledge with the team in an effort to foster a positive personal and team growth environment.
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum of Associate Degree in Science related field OR
- 2 years related experience OR
- Demonstration of skills related to current projects
- Must have testing lab management background
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
A successful employee will have an understanding of the scientific method and how to conduct an experiment. Successful employees will be attentive to details and be able to follow instructions. General computer skills are required, such as email, word processing, and Microsoft Excel. The ability to be flexible and adapt to change quickly will also be useful. Must be able to interpret and implement testing standards.
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, test methods, standard operating procedures and memos. Ability to write clearly experimental details and summaries of results. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to co-workers and management.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
Must be able to lift 50 lbs., sometimes repeatedly throughout the shift. Must be able to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, hear, and smell.